Divorce Attorney Lawyer

Filing For Divorce

 Are you thinking about filing for divorce? Have you been served with Divorce papers? This can be a scary time. Give me a call.  You will feel better knowing what you can expect after speaking to an experienced attorney.  Also get some tips about what you should (and should not) be doing right now. 

How Long will the process take?

In Michigan there are mandatory waiting periods from the time that one party files until you can finalize the divorce.  If you do not have children, that waiting period is 60 days.  If you have minor children, that waiting period is 6 months.  It is possible that some of that time may be waived if both parties agree, but there is no guarantee.  Call me to find out more details regarding waiting periods.

What to do if you have been served with Divorce Papers

If you have been served with divorce papers, contact me right away to schedule a consultation. There are actions that need to be taken within certain time frames.  Waiting too long could effect your rights to participate in the divorce process.

Settling without Court Involvement

You and your spouse are free to create any type of settlement agreement, within reason, that works for your family.  Generally, the courts will accept agreements made by parties with respect to division of their estate.  So long as the court finds that it is in the children's best interest, generally the courts are also inclined to accept agreements with respect to the minor children.


The cost of every divorce is different, and depends entirely on you and your spouse, how you communicate, and whether you can come to agreements without (or limited) court involvement. Generally, the more court involvement, the higher the cost of your divorce action. 

Status Quo

Expect that during the divorce process, and until you and your spouse reach final agreements, everything will remain status quo as it has through your marriage.  If this changes and it is not changed by agreement, one party has the ability to petition the court to order the other party to comply with what has been the status quo prior to the filing of the divorce.